Bipolar disorder, also commonly referred to as manic-depressive disorder, is a condition characterized by repeated episodes of changes in mood and activity level. During manic episodes, a person may feel a diminished need for sleep and daytime hyper-activity with rapid speech and elevated moods. This may last from two weeks to five months. These symptoms are followed by longer periods of depression with poor energy, social withdrawal, difficulty concentrating, appetite changes and weight fluctuations. Traditional treatment requires one or more medications, usually lithium, an antidepressant, and sometimes antipsychotics. If symptoms are very severe, hospitalization will sometimes be necessary until stable again.
Some of the Acupuncture Points Used to Treat Bipolar Disorder
Here are some of them:
- 1 Lung 3. This acupuncture point is good for those with bipolar disorder who are forgetful, sad, have insomnia, cry, and talk to ghosts.
- 2 Large Intestine 5 and Large Intestine 7. This acupuncture point provides treatment for manic behavior, fright, inappropriate laughter and seeing ghosts.
- 3 Stomach 25. This acupuncture point is for mania, schizophrenia, anxiety, and mental irritability.
- 4 Gall Bladder 13. This acupuncture point is for fright and manic behavior.
- 5 Gall Bladder 17. This acupuncture point is for manic behavior, obsessive thoughts, and pensiveness.
- 6 DU 16. This acupuncture point helps treat suicidal thoughts, sadness and fear.
- 7 DU 20. This point is used in the treatment of those who want to commit suicide, sadness and crying.